Round 16 - The Pop-tart debate

Simple, answer some survey questions and receive cards as a thank you.

Is it the Ravioli?

Yes
No votes
No
50%
What an existential crisis that turned my childhood into a lie.
50%

Total votes: 4

raie
Honey Mod

Round 16 - The Pop-tart debate

Post by raie »

Guidelines
  • Answer the question as best you can, have fun discussing!
  • If there is a poll, please vote in it!
  • Try to post more than one sentence.
  • Reward (per post): 2 random cards
Round 16
Is a Pop-Tart a ravioli?
--- -- --- -- --- -- --- -- --- -- --- -- --- --
A ravioli is comprised of a filling inside thin dough. While pop-tart are filled between two layers of dough, I honestly think it still doesn't consider it a ravioli since wikipedia says "..between two thin layers of pasta dough".
I honestly thought this was a joke but this debate as been around for a couple of years.
So does that make it sweet ravioli?
Elijah

Re: Round 16 - The Pop-tart debate

Post by Elijah »

ONE OF THE HILLS I WILL DIE ON... foods are inherently cultural and have nuance! and that has to include junk food like pop tarts. and a pop tart may not be as deep, but. it's a slippery slope. if someone walked up to me and said an empanada is a ravioli (or a calzone or something), i would be annoyed because it strips it of its identity and ultimately assimilates it to a homogenous white american culture (like i know ravioli are originally italian, but they are also definitely common in standard white american culture while empanadas are typically not). or like when people try to say a taco is a sandwich. they're different! there's nuance! you gain nothing by categorizing it as a sandwich! if you're vague enough, anything can be anything. genuinely saying that a pop tart is a ravioli or a taco is a sandwich is like genuinely saying a plucked chicken is a man because it's a featherless biped. just let things be their own thing, defined by the cultures that came up with them!
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I find this such a weird debate since I've read ravioli's described as an Italian dumpling (mostly when talking about how wrapping things in dough is universal) A much better comparison is a pie. If you go to an artisan bakery that sell pop tarts (maybe it is just vegan bakeries haha) they tend to look more like a hand pie.

I feel like this is a debate to just be silly because you bake a pop tart, not boil it.
Caitlin
Honey Mod

Post by Caitlin »

What an existential crisis that turned my childhood into a lie.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK.

No. Poptarts are not "sweet ravioli".... Hot dogs are not sandwiches......

I so agree with Elijah in the "plucked chicken is a man" theory - it just doesn't make sense!
raie
Honey Mod

Post by raie »

Elijah:
Image Image
Survey (Round 16): mole03, tofu08

Jennifer:
Image Image
Survey (Round 16): crabrangoon01, lime17

Caitlin:
Image Image
Survey (Round 16): bakedbeans17, filetmignon20
auriianna

Post by auriianna »

Umm, Well it's if you look at it this way Pop-tart and ravioli are the same however, not stepping on the toes. Is that one is a sweet pastry and the dough is different, and the other is dough that is boiled in water or deep fried. But pop-tarts isn't a ravioli just because it's between two pieces of thin dough and filling. But they are both eatable goods. One is a breakfast staple for those on the go yet it can be used as a dessert due to its sweetness. The other is a main course item that can be turned into an appetizer so it is a versatile food and unless pop-tart comes out with a cheese flavored pop tart I would say X nope that a pop-tart is a ravioli due to who wants a soggy pop-tart?