Round 3 - Bananas are DOOMED

Watch a video and discuss it to earn cards!
Loki

Re: Round 3 - Bananas are DOOMED

Post by Loki »

This is very interesting to watch. I remember watching something similar with my husband on this subject, but not sure how long ago that was. I, myself, have never had any other type of banana, but I think it would be interesting to try new ones. I think the main thing is getting the word out to more and more people so they can understand and possibly be willing to give these other types of bananas a try. There's like tons of varieties for apples, it would be cool if other fruits also had such a variety.
rain

Post by rain »

Yeah, I echo Loki's view. I think a lot of people (particularly based in the West) simply aren’t even aware that so many different varieties of bananas exist, rather than actively rejecting them. It’s great that videos like that help with education. Hopefully, this will help normalise other strains and in turn, increase demand for them and alleviate the pressures on farmers currently dependent on the Cavendish.

trading post: http://tcg.rain.computer/

avatar by miranda & siggie by rowie
Jamie
Site Admin

Post by Jamie »

Loki: I agree, it's strange that we have some fruits where wide varieties have become more readily available and popular really, but not the same for bananas. Like the video mentions part of it may be the appearance factor but more diversity would only be beneficial.
Image Image
Food Network (Round 3): donut13, lime14

rain: 100% agreed, there are some types that sound really delicious! One I found interesting is the Blue Java banana, which was described online as having a vanilla flavor and ice cream like consistency.
Image Image
Food Network (Round 3): timhortons11, fruitsalad18
Pastelgoth.net
Ace's #1 waifu for laifu
Zerogami's cool mom
Certified old person
auriianna

Post by auriianna »

I hate to say it, but Americans are like picky children. Think about it, because something doesn't smell right good you won't eat it. So if a Banana isn't bright yellow without brown spots we won't eat it. But because of this, we are going to lose bananas honestly I would love to try another type of banana to see what they taste like. To eat what we have now is normal but they are so close to becoming infected and the more we demand the more we will have to pay. Have gromet bananas with the others, if we had something and it starts becoming popular yes but don't monopolize with one strand... Bananas are going to end up being wiped out again for round two. Bananas- 0 Panama fungus - 1.
portia
Honey Mod

Post by portia »

auriianna - I think it's something that just changes depending on where you are. Kind of cultural like that. I have sensory sensitivities and am extremely tedious about the foods I eat. Bananas have to be just right for me to eat them. I do put them into smoothies or turn them into banana bread, to save them, because my neurospicy self is so bad about remembering to eat produce and I am frugal. 🤷‍♀️ But I think turning browned bananas into banana bread is very much a southern thing 😂
ImageImage
Food Network Round 3: lavender17, senbei17