Round 6 - Why 10,000 People Are on the Waitlist for Kora’s Filipino Doughnuts

Watch a video and discuss it to earn cards!
Jamie
Site Admin

Round 6 - Why 10,000 People Are on the Waitlist for Kora’s Filipino Doughnuts

Post by Jamie »

Guidelines
  • Watch the youtube video linked.
  • You are not required to watch the entire video if you're not enjoying it, but at least a few minutes so you can get an idea.
  • Share whatever opinions you have about the video!
  • Try to post at least a few sentences.
Reward: 2 random cards

This Round
https://youtu.be/TiyxdTPnL9o
Video Length: 16:11

My thoughts:
This video honestly left me in awe! I LOVE donuts and gosh do I want to try so many of the donut varieties! I love the Filipino x American infusion with this donut idea. And I'm low-key sad that I am not in New York and couldn't possibly snag any of these. I hope that the chef continues to find success and can potentially open a permanent shop.
Pastelgoth.net
Ace's #1 waifu for laifu
Zerogami's cool mom
Certified old person
Kayori

Re: Round 6 - Why 10,000 People Are on the Waitlist for Kora’s Filipino Doughnuts

Post by Kayori »

This seems so awesome, and it's amazing to see family recipes turn into thriving businesses. All the donuts look so good, however the only real issue I can see with many people, is that they are not vegan friendly. The dough and a lot of the fillings use things vegans don't eat. As successful as they are, they may actually become more successful if they were to create and test recipes that address certain diets (keto, veganism), or dietary restrictions such as allergies.
rain

Re: Round 6 - Why 10,000 People Are on the Waitlist for Kora’s Filipino Doughnuts

Post by rain »

I love hearing about the process of coming up and testing recipes, figuring out what works and what doesn't. I thought it was interesting as well, hearing her speak about her relationship with her suppliers and the need to source for different types of foods of specific traits e.g. the sweet potato for it to work with their recipe!

trading post: http://tcg.rain.computer/

avatar by miranda & siggie by rowie
Caitlin
Honey Mod

Post by Caitlin »

OMG these look and sounds delicious!! She is pretty close to me, too - I'm on Long Island but I was born in Queens, NY and my dad was born and raised there, so we go back quite often. I cannot even imagine being on a 10,000 person wait list, though!! You never know WHEN she'll get there, if ever! It blows my mind.

I love seeing how these doughnuts are made, too! It's a really cool process how she makes the flan on a big sheet pan and cuts out circles for the doughnuts, and that huge mixer! I was amazed at that machine (they called R2D2)... :o that's just crazy to me that they didn't have to do those dough balls by hand! Shows what a machine can really do!!

The ube doughnuts were soooo pretty!!

This team of cooks should have a cooking show or something! I loved watching them make everything!!
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

I AM AMAZED BY THESE DONUTS... They look so fluffy and good!! Like the ube one especially is almost a ball, it must be so light and fluffy... I really want to try the flan (I've only ever had Spanish and Mexican style flan, and a flan with more egg yolks sounds delicious), and the sweet potato one sounds so good. I really hope she does a pop up over here in socal sometime (I CAN DREAM), i would love to try all of these!
Lex

Post by Lex »

ohh those look so cool. I normally prefer a chocolate cake donut but I'd love to try one of those, the flan one seems super fun. I love seeing behind the scenes type restaurant videos because I honestly don't really know how a lot of things are made lmao so it's neat getting to see the process. It seems like a lot of work but they're clearly doing well so that's great.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I am not a fan of donuts aksdfasld so I wont lie, a good few of these kinda made me cringe haha. Can be fun to watch the dough, but yeah especially when they start to finish the flan or ube ones, im just like nah not for me haha.

unrelated; one thing that gets me is a lot of times she isnt wearing gloves, then they cut to someone making the food with the gloves. dslkfjasd
portia
Honey Mod

Post by portia »

Kayori
ImageImage
Food Network Round 6: tofu15, blackpepper09

Rain
ImageImage
Food Network Round 6: hawaiianpizza05, bingsu03

Caitlin
ImageImage
Food Network Round 6: wontonsoup05, snickerdoodle17

Elijah
ImageImage
Food Network Round 6: banhmi04, pinklemonade17

Lex
ImageImage
Food Network Round 6: salad13, tiramisu15

Jun
ImageImage
Food Network Round 6: grilledcheese18, rockcandy12

Jamie
ImageImage
Food Network Round 6: glazeddonut13, pretzeldog11
Jamie
Site Admin

Post by Jamie »

Kayori wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:32 am This seems so awesome, and it's amazing to see family recipes turn into thriving businesses. All the donuts look so good, however the only real issue I can see with many people, is that they are not vegan friendly. The dough and a lot of the fillings use things vegans don't eat. As successful as they are, they may actually become more successful if they were to create and test recipes that address certain diets (keto, veganism), or dietary restrictions such as allergies.
Interesting point, a lot of filipino food isn't very vegan or diet friendly in general so that is probably part of it. I agree for sure in the US that catering to different diets can really help a business. Kora doesn't seem to be anything more than an indie pop-up pre-order business with a very select specialty menu, so that may be part of it.
rain wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:41 pm I love hearing about the process of coming up and testing recipes, figuring out what works and what doesn't. I thought it was interesting as well, hearing her speak about her relationship with her suppliers and the need to source for different types of foods of specific traits e.g. the sweet potato for it to work with their recipe!
Completely agree, I had no idea that ube was considered invasive here in America but it definitely explains why you don't see it in too many parts of the world. Such a shame, ube is so good!! It's one of my favorite flavorings in all kinds of sweets. Great that she was able to find a work around with the Japanese sweet potato for the garnish.
Caitlin wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:04 am OMG these look and sounds delicious!! She is pretty close to me, too - I'm on Long Island but I was born in Queens, NY and my dad was born and raised there, so we go back quite often. I cannot even imagine being on a 10,000 person wait list, though!! You never know WHEN she'll get there, if ever! It blows my mind.

I love seeing how these doughnuts are made, too! It's a really cool process how she makes the flan on a big sheet pan and cuts out circles for the doughnuts, and that huge mixer! I was amazed at that machine (they called R2D2)... :o that's just crazy to me that they didn't have to do those dough balls by hand! Shows what a machine can really do!!

The ube doughnuts were soooo pretty!!

This team of cooks should have a cooking show or something! I loved watching them make everything!!
So lucky! Long Island is nice, I haven't been there in years but I enjoyed the local restaurants there. Not sure how long the waiting list is nowadays since the pandemic, but from more recent videos I do still see that folks have to order ahead of time before a specific pick-up date. It really is crazy how advanced kitchen equipment has become!
Elijah wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:41 am I AM AMAZED BY THESE DONUTS... They look so fluffy and good!! Like the ube one especially is almost a ball, it must be so light and fluffy... I really want to try the flan (I've only ever had Spanish and Mexican style flan, and a flan with more egg yolks sounds delicious), and the sweet potato one sounds so good. I really hope she does a pop up over here in socal sometime (I CAN DREAM), i would love to try all of these!
I feel exactly the same way!! My mouth watered when I stumbled on this video. As soon as she said brioche dough for the donuts I could just imagine how fluffy soft the doughnuts are. Brioche is an interesting choice, a little more bready than cake donuts, but it sounds delicious! Filipino leche flan is a bit different and I think worth a try. I find flan (all kinds) to be a little too rich for me. :lol:
Lex wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:51 am ohh those look so cool. I normally prefer a chocolate cake donut but I'd love to try one of those, the flan one seems super fun. I love seeing behind the scenes type restaurant videos because I honestly don't really know how a lot of things are made lmao so it's neat getting to see the process. It seems like a lot of work but they're clearly doing well so that's great.
I love a good cake donut too! I love going to specialty donut places and getting cake donuts with lots of fun toppings. This video is fun and has an interesting order ahead model rather than a traditional store front, and I enjoyed hearing about her creative process.
Jun wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:10 am I am not a fan of donuts aksdfasld so I wont lie, a good few of these kinda made me cringe haha. Can be fun to watch the dough, but yeah especially when they start to finish the flan or ube ones, im just like nah not for me haha.

unrelated; one thing that gets me is a lot of times she isnt wearing gloves, then they cut to someone making the food with the gloves. dslkfjasd
Yeah I'm willing to bet part of it was for the video. Donuts are definitely super sweet, and hers look especially sweet so I don't blame you. :lol:
Pastelgoth.net
Ace's #1 waifu for laifu
Zerogami's cool mom
Certified old person