Round 11: I ate Filipino Food for the first time!

Watch a video and discuss it to earn cards!
raie
Honey Mod

Round 11: I ate Filipino Food for the first time!

Post by raie »

Guidelines
  • Watch the youtube video linked.
  • You are not required to watch the entire video if you're not enjoying it, but at least a few minutes so you can get an idea.
  • Share whatever opinions you have about the video!
  • Try to post at least a few sentences.
Reward: 2 random cards (+1 extra card because this topic was late)

This Round
https://youtu.be/y8txqt2exjQ
Video Length: 11:43

My thoughts:

My nets being super weird right now, but Im gonna watch this at work and update this when I got on Sat night!
Elijah

Re: Round 11: I ate Filipino Food for the first time!

Post by Elijah »

i need to try filipino menudo so bad! i had heard about it but i've never seen it before, and it was totally different from what i was expecting because i'm so used to the mexican version. i need to experience both! turon is another dish that didn't look like what i was expecting, because "turron" in spain is like an almond nougat candy. as much as i enjoy turron, turon looks even tastier. i genuinely love learning about filipino food because a lot of mexican food is similar or has the same names, but there are key differences (or they're completely different dishes), so it's both new and familiar at the same time.
Caitlin
Honey Mod

Post by Caitlin »

I really liked the girl whose video this was - she was cheerful and excited about getting to try the food, not boring and monotone like other youtubers I've watched.
Did it seem to anyone else like she was eating with a huge wooden spoon? Sometimes from the angle it looked normal-sized, other times it looked like one of those wooden spoons you use to cook with! I was confused by it :lol:
The egg with garlic fried rice sounds amazing! The fish? Not so much.. I'm not a fan of seafood AT ALL, which seems to be the main theme in Filipino cooking/dishes.
The veggies in the first main dish would make me eat vegetables as a kid, too! That sounded good.
I've heard so much about menudo, I laughed when she mentioned the boy band because when I first learned about menudo being a food, I was like "Why would they name a band after a food?!" Unless there are multiple meanings...
When she said that stew was so much better than American stew, I figured I might like it. I really don't ilke American stew, besides from the carrots and potatoes in it lol
That dessert sounded delicious!! Plantains were one of my grandpa's favorite things to eat - He would always get them (or we'd get them for him) in a dessert empanada. He was 100% Puerto Rican. <3
I actually watched the entire video! I found her really fun to watch and would watch other videos of hers.
Ouji
Honey Mod

Post by Ouji »

Elijah:
Image Image
Food Network (Round 11): skittles03, chocolateicecream10

Caitlin:
Image Image
Food Network (Round 11): drpepper01, eastcoastwings07
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I've seen this woman doing her videos where she has a "staple" food and seeing how people around the world would eat it (like what do you eat with your oats)

Really the only Filipino food I've tried is I think palabok (the thin yellow noodle stir fry dish) I even had my Mom's friend teach me how to make it. But for the most part it isn't a very vegan friendly cuisine. Lots of mean and seafood for flavoring, buuuuuttt....

The video made me want to google Filipino restaurants and I found one in a 5 min drive! I had no clue! I keep seeing ads for the Peruvian place next to it! But it looks like they have some desserts- even that turron! I think maybe I will check it out this week and just eat veggie springs rolls and a bunch of random desserts for lunch with my daughter haha
Ouji
Honey Mod

Post by Ouji »

Jennifer:
Image Image
Food Network (Round 11): kamaboko15, drpepper04
Jamie
Site Admin

Post by Jamie »

Jennifer wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:31 pm I've seen this woman doing her videos where she has a "staple" food and seeing how people around the world would eat it (like what do you eat with your oats)

Really the only Filipino food I've tried is I think palabok (the thin yellow noodle stir fry dish) I even had my Mom's friend teach me how to make it. But for the most part it isn't a very vegan friendly cuisine. Lots of mean and seafood for flavoring, buuuuuttt....

The video made me want to google Filipino restaurants and I found one in a 5 min drive! I had no clue! I keep seeing ads for the Peruvian place next to it! But it looks like they have some desserts- even that turron! I think maybe I will check it out this week and just eat veggie springs rolls and a bunch of random desserts for lunch with my daughter haha
Yesssss it makes me so happy when people try Filipino food! Most of our desserts are rice cakes flavored with coconut milk, so you should be good on that front. Turon is one of my absolute favorite desserts! But I agree most things are not very vegan-friendly.
Pastelgoth.net
Ace's #1 waifu for laifu
Zerogami's cool mom
Certified old person
portia
Honey Mod

Post by portia »

@Jamie

Image Image
Food Network (Round 11): cornbread10, pozole10