Round 10 - Taco Bell - Why They're Successful

Watch a video and discuss it to earn cards!
Jamie
Site Admin

Round 10 - Taco Bell - Why They're Successful

Post by Jamie »

Guidelines
  • Watch the youtube video linked.
  • You are not required to watch the entire video if you're not enjoying it, but at least a few minutes so you can get an idea.
  • Share whatever opinions you have about the video!
  • Try to post at least a few sentences.
Reward: 2 random cards

This Round
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaqjI_7Vorc
Video Length: 12:16

My thoughts:
I'm going to say right off the bat that Company Man is one of my favorite YouTube channels, he covers a lot of interesting companies, what makes them successful, how some changed the industry, or why some fail.

I chose the Taco Bell one because it's a favorite fast food restaurant, it serves its own kind of "Mexican" inspired food (hard stretch I know). The origins of the restaurant are fascinating (who knew the owner's name was actually Bell?) and I hadn't thought about it before, but the video highlights a good point about the catchy and memorable marketing that TB has had over the years. Also fascinating to think of how TB helped tacos become more widespread in America.

I love their wacky foods, I honestly go nuts for their nacho fries every time they're available, and I unironically liked the crispy chicken sandwich taco they offered last year.
Pastelgoth.net
Ace's #1 waifu for laifu
Zerogami's cool mom
Certified old person
Elijah

Re: Round 10 - Taco Bell - Why They're Successful

Post by Elijah »

taco bell is some of my favorite quintessentially american food 😂 i love their chalupas, and of course baja blast! the impact taco bell has had on american food is really interesting? i've seen other documentaries on taco bell as well, and one consistent line throughout all of them is that tacos were too "foreign" and "exotic" for your typical non-latine americans before taco bell, and now taco bell-style tacos are wildly popular! they're definitely their own distinct thing, because both the hard shell and the ground meat inside are not typical taco ingredients, and it's really interesting how it's what most americans think of as a taco despite that. i definitely have mixed thoughts about it, because i wish there had been room for traditional mexican food to be popularized in the united states by mexican people. but when you need cheap, cheesy food, it's hard to beat taco bell!
Caitlin
Honey Mod

Post by Caitlin »

I love Taco Bell, too! When I heard about the owner being named Bell, I laughed... In high school we had a vice principal "Mr. Bell", and people used to joke that his first name was Taco, and yell out in the hallways to him "Yo quiero Mr. Bell!" :lol: :lol:

Also, while watching the video, it came to mind that my grandma used to have a talking stuffed animal of the chihuahua mascot - and when you pressed on the paw I think it said "Yo quiero Taco Bell!" :lol: Don't know where she got that or why she had it! It used to crack us up as kids, as did the Taco Bell commercials!

Anyway, I can see why Taco Bell stays popular - different snacks, drinks, even desserts! Bringing back the Mexican pizza and different things they've had... All make people want to go to Taco Bell! I for one, LOVE their drinks, especially the mango whip freeze thingy and I love the cheesy fiesta potatoes, even though my brother pointed out it's something we can probably make ourselves. :roll:
Kayori

Post by Kayori »

Taco Bell has definitely had one of the most influential impacts as far as the overall popularity of tacos in the US. I loved the quesaritas, but they got rid of them. I do like the crunchwraps, cheesy gorditas, and chalupas. Their value menu is also way more budget friendly than most other fast food restaurants value menus. The value items are way more filling that anything you get on the value menu of say, McDonald's. They're also one of the few places in my community that are open 24 hours, the other being McDonald's.
Ouji
Honey Mod

Post by Ouji »

Elijah:
Image Image
Food Network (Round 10): donuthole04, feta14

Caitlin:
Image Image
Food Network (Round 10): redlicorice12, japchae11

Kayori:
Image Image
Food Network (Round 10): durian08, tacobell05
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I don't really eat at Taco Bell anymore. But I use to in college/high school, and I think the whole novelty of things was the reason why we loved it. Plus all the crunchy stuff. haha Watching the video made the whole Baja Blast make more sense.I found it so weird that Taco Bell had their own exclusive soda, but if it is owned by Pepsi, I see why they would do it.
Ouji
Honey Mod

Post by Ouji »

Jennifer:
Image Image
Food Network (Round 10): pulledporksandwich10, bluecheese15
Jun

Post by Jun »

Since we havent really had much in terms of marketing in the past 20 years, its hard to remember that things used to go hard on tag lines, mascots, jingles, ect. Good times, a fun aspect of marketing for me IMO. I didnt have tacobell for the first time till like a few years ago, but oh man It also is one of my favorites; cheap, tasty, worth the money. Baja Blast is a bit too coppery for my taste, but I really do like their Mango Brisk Tea (though Taco Bell doesnt have water out in the open, you need to ask behind counter, so its always akward when im asking for water to water down their drinks haha)

The change of menu every few months imo is a smart tactic for Taco Bell; often its something you really want: pizza, chicken shell taco, grilled cheese quessorito (i know its called something else, but taste the same), ect. I can see why its still popular

I always tell my friends back in Japan about how much i love it but like the only one your going to find is in major citys in the tourist spots haha like its not common at all like say McDonals or something. Suprises me it isnt as big in other countries as the US sometimes.
Ouji
Honey Mod

Post by Ouji »

Jun:
Image Image
Food Network (Round 10): salmon09, sweetpotatofries06