Round 12: Halloween/Holiday Sweets

Simple, answer some survey questions and receive cards as a thank you.
raie
Honey Mod

Round 12: Halloween/Holiday Sweets

Post by raie »

Guidelines
  • Answer the question as best you can, have fun discussing!
  • If there is a poll, please vote in it!
  • Try to post more than one sentence.
Reward (per post): 2 random cards

Round 12
What is everyone looking forward to, to Halloween? If you are in a region that doesn't celebrate it, what kind of candies/or sweets are you most looking forward to in your upcoming holidays?

For me, every year I only look forward to after Halloween candy. The discounted candy lasts me and my family to after valentines day. (Of course by then is after Valentines Days candy sales 8-) 8-) ) This year a little special since it is going to be my first year with my 2 year to take trick or treating. I am so looking forward to taking her out and there's just this huge relief when considering the state of the world in the last two years. Since the beginning of this month she's been walking around and filling her bucket up and calling out trick or treat to no one in particular, so maybe she's excited too? I'm happy to experience this again when my child and can't wait to steal her candy she gets :lol:
auriianna

Re: Round 12

Post by auriianna »

I am sorry if this is going to sound a bit depressing.

I loved Halloween I would dress up with my nieces and nephews. I had three step-siblings and the middle child who was only 8 years older than me had kids when they were old enough to go trick-or-treating I would dress up with them and we would go. Granted I was only 8 and then 11 years older than the kids. I remember one time when I was younger, I would go trick or treat in the small town my dad grew up in and my GG's neighbor would make Popcorn balls. I looked forward to that. It was yummy and the best of all the candies I got since they were homemade.

When I moved up to where my mother lived in the early 2000s didn't do trick or treating much, I moved down to my dad's hometown; it snowed one Halloween. We stopped doing candy since it was mostly early teens coming around. Then, eight years ago, this Halloween I had to lay my grandmother to rest, she passed a few days earlier. So I rarely celebrate it anymore. However, at work, I will dress up for Halloween on the day we have in-store trick-or-treating but that is usually a few days before Halloween.
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

i always love getting together with my friends for a scary movie marathon! we like to alternate between cheesy/campy halloween movies and genuinely scary ones. the day after is the start of dia de los muertos, so my family does stuff for that too. normally it would involve going to the cemetery, but with it being on tuesday and wednesday this year, i'm not sure how that's gonna end up working out. everyone in my family works and the cemetery closes at sundown, so we may have to bring cempasúchil either the weekend before or the weekend after. we'll still have the ofrenda at home at least!
Jun

Post by Jun »

might have forgotten the topic title lol

Uh, halloween is fun. We dont do much for it, but I am a huge horror nut in general; games, items, movies, ect. So i enjoy the rise of popularity from that side of it. Other then that not to much stuff goes on, no trick or treaters or anything here.
Caitlin
Honey Mod

Post by Caitlin »

I don't really do much for Halloween. We don't get trick-or-treaters over where I live, because I'm on a main road, and it's dangerous for the kids to be walking up and down the road. Sometimes teenagers come looking for candy, but the past couple of years no one has come. That doesn't stop us from buying candy, though LOL. Somehow, we always know we'll get nobody, yet always buy candy and end up eating it. Hoping to beak that tradition this year. None of us need the sweets! :lol:
Ouji
Honey Mod

Post by Ouji »

Auriianna:
Image Image
Survey (Round 12): lavender07, fruitjuice16

Elijah:
Image Image
Survey (Round 12): avocadotoast09, mango16

Jun:
Image Image
Survey (Round 12): guacamole17, benandjerrys10

Caitlin:
Image Image
Survey (Round 12): sugar13, cinnamonroll07
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I LOVE Halloween! It is the only holiday that has no real "religious" ties (like yeah pagan stuff, but not in the same way as like Easter, Xmas, Diwali etc) and therefore it is all fun stuff. (Ok I understand Thanksgiving isn't that religious anymore but I don't really like Thanksgiving food haha) My husband and I try and watch scary movies all month, sometimes watching a scary show, and try watching Halloween themed episodes from comedies we like.

My son is now old enough to watch some scarier stuff, so we moved from Curious George Boofest to Nightmare Before Christmas and Hocus Pocus. I like making the costumes (ninja and "treat monster") It'll be fun because my daughter will be 2 1/2 and able to get the whole trick or treating thing more from last year.

Also Raie, solidarity from one covid baby mom to another. I think when it was the first Halloween during COVID my son was so excited he went around the house "knocking on doors" for candy to teach his sister how to do it. haha

Caitlin- you are the target demographic for candy companies! I remember listening to a podcast of halloween candy and they were saying that they put the candy out so early so people buy them, eat them, then buy again for halloween haha. No shame. I think honestly this is the first year I haven't dipped into our candy stash. :o
Ouji
Honey Mod

Post by Ouji »

Personally I'm looking forward to all the costumes!! I love seeing kiddos running around trick or treating (reminds me I need to stock up on candy) even though our apartment complex doesn't have a whole lot :( I think with pandemic and all that it's made everyone go to other places to trick or treat, which is something I've noticed over the years. Maybe when we go somewhere with more kiddos it'll get busier??? They're always so cute hehe.
portia
Honey Mod

Post by portia »

Jennifer:
Image Image
Survey (Round 12): congee01, wasabi13

Ouji:
Image Image
Survey (Round 12): bloodorange07, grilledcheese06